Are you an NT Rational? Wouldn’t it be great to surround yourself with like-minded intellectuals - someone who is not another sheeple?
The challenge: we are the rarest temperament, and some of us (especially NTPs) have mastered the chameleon techniques and appear as other types.
Let me share with you how to find and quickly assess if someone you just met is a fellow NT:
- Where is the NT Mothership? These events/activities are pretty much filled with NTs (most of them have local groups in cities all over the world): tech startup/entrepreneur events (Mobile Monday, Slush, and multiple other events usually hosted at co-working spaces), scientific/educational talks (Café Scientifique, TED Talks, Pecha Kucha), discussion groups (Skeptics in the Pub); I’m not a part of these but I suppose the high IQ societies (Mensa, Prometheus Society), and obviously: your local MBTI meetups.
- Do You Even Google? If you’re having a good conversation with a rational, chances are, they already pulled out their phone to google something at some point. Most NTs don’t register this behavior as rude. If there’s something interesting we didn’t know about or need to get the facts right to keep discussing with you, then it must be done - mid convo. I bonded with many NTs on first meeting by sharing grievance on how most people are not natural knowledge seekers. “Isn’t it annoying how people don’t google the simplest things”, you say? A rational will jump on that bandwagon so fast and dish out their irritations to you.
- The Devil’s Advocates. Rationals love to discuss/debate/argue - whatever you want to call it. We are a skeptical bunch and will take up an opportunity to examine any topic with an interesting conversational partner, while other types may feel offended or personally attacked when someone “argues too much”. NTs are also able to explore a point of view impersonally without being attached to it. For example, very early on, an ENTJ and I were discussing the psychology of pedophiles and technologies that could help them fulfill their desire without acting out in real life - without thinking that either of us were necessarily pedophiles ourselves.
- Oh So Controversial. Every NT I met has a controversial opinion about something, be it society, corporate culture, popular culture, religion, educational system, or the government. Although, we are most likely hiding this side of us because we know the troubles we could get in and how annoying it is to argue with the majority who just don’t get it. You have to tease it out of them. Lead with an intriguing question or statement: “don’t you think it’s strange that schools focus so much on memorization?”, “it’s amazing how once you get a certain level of popularity, people just worship everything you do”, “it’s funny how people just take authority figures as credible without much questions”, “I’ve always known I didn’t want a corporate 9 to 5 job”. An NT will respond with their own analysis of the issues. I’ve turned a quiet INTP guy talkative by mentioning these things. Surprisingly (and not), we have the same views on most of these issues even though we are from completely different cultures and working in different fields.
- Har Har. Take notice of all the *endearing* sarcastic jokes, cynical comments, witty and brutally straightforward observations. These come naturally to us and they will surely come out in conversations. Make some yourself - if they aren’t offended and even laugh, you have a fellow NT.
Congratulations! You’ve found your potential mindmate/partner in crime/confidant/discussion buddy. Now go conquer the world together and have fun exchanging Wikipedia articles.
Bonus: Goodies for the rational minds. Here are some of my favorite websites with interesting things to talk to your NT friends about.
- Interesting websites: The Creators Project | Serious Wonder | Mic
- Youtube channels: Vsauce | vihart | minutephysics | AsapSCIENCE
- Alternate education: Khan Academy | Coursera
Disclaimer: 1) This is based on my personal experience irl, not online. The NTs I had in mind while writing this are somewhat mature and healthy. I haven’t met the usual arseholes you see in forums irl. Proceed at your own risk. 2) All of my NT friends are males. Unfortunately, I haven’t come across many NT females or become close to any of them yet. 3) I’m an outgoing INTP female. If you’re not an NT, this may be more difficult for you. 4) I don’t mean to offend other types or make us sound like we all have superiority complex. If it sounds like that…oh well.
the older u get the funnier spongebob becomes
i dont date in high school because no one is rich yet so whats the point
the worst is having a dream where someone loves you and you can practically feel them touching you and it feels so real and then you wake up and it’s like the life is being sucked out of you and the happiness just drains out of your body and you feel empty again